While we were all expecting a successor to the G8, LG instead announced a successor to the V50. The LG V60 ThinQ 5G is the latest fully featured flagship smartphone from Samsung’s Korean rival. LG doesn’t go quite as hard with the spec sheet as others like Samsung and Oppo, but it also doesn’t go as hard with the price point.
The V60 is packed with 5G, a 64MP camera chock-full of features including 8K video, a 3.5mm headphone jack, hefty battery, wireless charging, and an optional Dual Screen accessory – all starting at a price lower than the entry-level Samsung Galaxy S20. On paper, LG has all it needs to compete not just with Samsung, but other brands like Apple and Google.
LG V60 ThinQ 5G specs:
- Body: 169.3 x 77.6 x 8.9 mm; 218g; Gorilla Glass 5 (front), Gorilla Glass 6 (rear); MIL-STD-810G compliant; IP68 water and dust resistant
- Screen: 6.8″ FHD+ (2460x1080px) OLED Cinematic FullVision Display; 20.5:9 aspect ratio, 395ppi; HDR10+
- Chipset: Snapdragon 865 (7nm+): Octa-core CPU (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585); Adreno 640 GPU; Qualcomm X55 5G modem (Sub-6 on T-Mobile, mmWave on Verizon)
- Memory: 128GB (Expandable via microSD up to 2TB), 8GB RAM
- OS/Software: LG UX 9.0 based on Android 10
- Rear camera: Primary: 64MP, 1/1.7″ sensor, f/1.8 aperture, 78-degree FOV lens, 0.8 µm pixels, PDAF, OIS; Ultrawide: 13MP, 1/3.4″ sensor; f/1.9 aperture; 117-degree FOV lens; 1.0 µm pixels; ToF: 14 µm pixel, 1/4″ sensor, f/1.4 aperture, 80-degree FOV lens
- Front camera: 10MP, 1/3.1″ sensor; f/1.9 aperture, 72.5-degree FOV lens, 1.22 µm pixels, PDAF
- Video: Main: Up to 8K Video (7680x4320px) with HDR10+; 4K time lapse, video portrait; Selfie: 4K @ 60fps
- Audio: 3.5mm jack, 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC, LG 3D Sound Engine; Stereo loudspeakers
- Battery: 5,000 mAh battery, Quick Charge 4.0+ (25W) USB-C adapter included; Wireless charging support
- Misc: Dedicated Google Assistant Key; ASMR recording; Wi-Fi 6; Bluetooth 5.1; MIDI device support; FM Radio
- Dual Screen: Optional snap-in secondary display; 6.8-inch FHD+ OLED (same as main one); 176×86.1×8.9mm; 134.1g, (347.8g combined); magnetic USB-C passthrough; no battery
There’s no longer a dedicated telephoto camera on the V60, but LG attributed this was because the high-resolution of the 64MP sensor can shoot lossless zoom photos, so we’ll certainly be testing this. The other two cameras are the ultrawide and a dedicated 3D ToF camera. This took preference over a dedicated zoom camera – so we’ll see how much better portraits will look.
LG switched to a Full HD+ panel with the G8X and is has done the same with the V60. Only a handful of manufacturers continue to use QHD panels on their top-tier offerings including Samsung, Google, OnePlus, and Huawei. We don’t mind the switch, but we’ll be looking out for brightness and color quality. Other phone makers are fitting their devices with high-refresh rate displays, and LG hasn’t done so here.
LG’s vision of multitasking continues with the Dual Screen accessory. A few changes have been made to the texture on the back, the external display is brighter, and the magnetic charging tip has been updated. LG plans to bundle the Dual Screen with purchase of the V60, which drives the value up even further.
There’s a lot to like about the LG V60 on paper, and although it doesn’t have every item on the feature list that competitors do, it’s got the whole flagship ground floor covered. Let’s dig further and see what LG is packing this year.
LG’s packaging hasn’t changed much over the years. The unit we received was a T-Mobile branded one, and the only visual difference was the T-Mobile branding printed on the side and the inclusion of a T-Mobile SIM card in the box.
Under the lid is a welcome note and cleaning cloth. The note from LG has information about adding a second year of warranty for free when you register the V60 online. The phone itself is wrapped in protective plastic.
Under the phone is a pack full of documents with warranty information, a quick start guide, and SIM tool. At the bottom of the box is a Quick Charge 4.0+ USB-C adapter and USB-C to C cable.
On the next page, we’ll unwrap the V60 and check out its exterior design.